No. 20/August 7, 1998
Date Set for Field Day at U of I's Orr Center
August 24 has been set as the date for the 19th annual fall field day at the University of Illinois's Orr Research and Education Center, located north andwest of Perry. The theme for this year's event is "Choices for Today's Agriculturist."
The event will feature tours of the agronomy and animal sciences research facilities, beginning at 3:00 p.m. Transportation will be provided from the Orr Center's crop complex to the beef research facility. An evening meal will be available, starting at 6:30 p.m.
Each tour will take about 1-1/2 hours, with the last tour starting at 5:00 p.m. Agricultural exhibits will be located at both the crops complex and the beef research facility Topics for the tours will include:
- Fall weather patterns--Steve Hollinger
- Fertilizer recommendations--Bob Hoeft
- Roundup Ready corn--Aaron Hager
- Bt-corn comparisons--Mike Roegge
- Wheat topics--Emerson Nafziger
- Crop rotation--Bill Brink.
Animal Science Tour
- Overview of beef cattle research--Dan Faulkner
- Updates on the five-state beef alliance--Doug Parrett
- Electronic identification and ultrasound demonstration--Robert Wells and Jim
- Viewing of the U of I beef cattle herd.
Indoor programming, which begins at 3:00 p.m, will cover three topics: wherehave all the bluebirds gone?--Elaanor Dunham; flowers to attract hummingbirdsand butterflies--Margaret Wilson; and how to share perennials and bulbs--CarolRakers.
Additional information on the annual fall field day at the Orr Center isavailable from Glenn Raines at (217)236-4911.
Rob Wynstra, ITCS, (217)333-9446