Issue No. 21, Article 2/August 12, 2005
University of Illinois Agronomy Day, August 18, 2005
The annual University of Illinois Agronomy Day will be held from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Crop Sciences Research and Education Center (also known as the South Farms) in Urbana, Illinois, on August 18. The theme is "Local Discovery/Global Impact." You can learn more details at the Department of Crop Sciences Web site: http://agronomyday.cropsci.uiuc.edu.
In addition to numerous displays "under the Big Top" (our blue and orange tent), there will be four tours:
- Terry Niblack--Most SCN-Resistant Soybean Varieties Are NOT Resistant to SCN: 2005 Update on SCN Races in Illinois
- Mohammad Babadoost--Vegetable Production in Illinois: Current and Potential
- Dean Malvick, Linda Sue Kull--The Soybean Rust Sentinel Plot System in Illinois
- Glen Hartman, Brian Diers, Curt Hill--Soybean Aphid Resistance
- Emerson D. Nafziger--Do We Really Need All This Stuff on Soybean?
- Joseph Spencer--Rootworm Movement in Transgenic and Refuge Corn: Getting Beetles from Here to There
- Kevin Steffey, Ron Estes--New Strategies for Managing Soybean Aphids and Other Insect Pests of Soybeans
- Michael Gray, Darren M. Bakken--Seed Treatments and Transgenic Hybrids for Corn Rootworms: Management Challenges Persist
- Loren Bode, Scott Bretthauer--How to Apply Soybean Rust Fungicides
- Fred Below, Stephen Moose--Genetic Differences in Nitrogen Use by Corn
- Dean Riechers, Josie Hugie--Can Weed Resistance to HPPD Inhibitors Be Prevented?
- Bill Simmons--How and When Weeds Steal Resources
- George Czapar--Southern Weeds Moving North
- Dawn Nordby, Aaron Hager, Patrick Tranel--As If You Didn't Have Enough Weed Problems Already
- Stanley Solomon, Jr., Dennis Bowman, Pete Fandel--Low-Cost GPS for Agricultural Applications
- Gary Schnitkey, Dale Lattz--Cost and Efficiencies If Different Sized Combines
- Stephen Long, Kevin Hollis, Timothy Mies, Patrick Morgan, Randall Nelson, Don Ort--Could Air Quality in Central Illinois Be Depressing Soybean Yield Today and More So Tomorrow?
- Tim Wilcox, Alan Hansen--Harvesting Grain More Effectively with Wireless Data Communication
- Ted Funk--Manure Management Marathon: Winners Plan for the Long Run
- Emily Heaton, Frank Dohleman--Fuel Without the Fossils: Can Miscanthus Do for Coal What Ethanol Has Done for Gasoline?
Again, you can obtain more information (on parking, lunch, etc.) at http://agronomyday.cropsci.uiuc.edu. We hope you can join us on August 18.--Kevin Steffey